Creative Process

A Year's Worth of Travel Photography

By July 23, 2014 40 Comments

Millie Ho Photography ChinaWhen I travel, I always take photographs. It’s not just about documentation: it’s about testing my patience.
Millie Ho Photography Warehouse

You know what I mean—standing with your upper body in an unnatural incline, maneuvering down crowded streets filled with dingy trench coat aficionados and screaming, camera-grabbing children.

Millie Ho Photography Warehouse Tree

Or sometimes standing alone. Click. Click. It does get kind of quiet, doesn’t it?

Millie Ho Photography Subway

My favourite travel destination is definitely Prague.

Millie Ho Photography Police

Not just for the cool subway systems and underground tunnels, but for the people, too.

Millie Ho Photography Market

Oh, and the shopping. Definitely the shopping.

Millie Ho Photography Tunnel

Tunnels are fun to photograph. It feels like you’re going somewhere, y’know?

Millie Ho Photography Museum

And who has time to read all these books? Click! Problem solved.

Millie Ho Photography Street

You just don’t see scenes like this at home.

Millie Ho Photography Snowboarding

But, then again.

Millie Ho Photography Vancouver

There’s no place like home.

————-

Millie’s Note: If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?

• andy1076 says:

Your photos make me so envious of you! these shots are amazing 🙂

• talkinghisa says:

These are lovely. I was in Prague a few years ago: it reminded me of Disneyland for adults. You know?

• Your photographs are amazing and very stunning! You are quite the photographer.

I never really thought about it, but patience does have to do with photography especially when getting the perfect shot. I don’t know how people did it in the old days when you had to keep your camera and subject still for hours.

If I could travel anywhere I would either go to Germany or Japan. Its hard to choice because there are so many options out there. I just love Japanese architecture and cherry blossoms. Germany is a place I always wanted to go since I was young.

Also, I being the history nerd I am would love to see the all World War Two museums in Germany.

Thank you for the comment! I think the whole patience thing of the past misconstrued the modern day’s perception of Victorian era people. They weren’t stern-looking or draconian by default; they just had to sit still for the camera’s lens.

I think Germany and Japan would work well in different seasons. Japan in the spring for the cherry blossoms, and maybe Germany in the fall for the festivals and local events. I would love to visit the World War Two museums in Germany, too. I imagine it would be a life changing experience.

• You are so right. No one would want to smile for a whole hour.

Japan would be beautiful in the spring with all the cherry blossoms blooming. Germany I would be willing to go any time of the year. I just started learning German the last week now. I would love to be able to test it out some day.

• alexraphael says:

What did you get when you shopped in Prague?

• Love your travel photos! I imagine that besides patience, the photos may help you relive a scene so you may to add details in the writing of a similar scene. Do you ever use them this way?

Thanks Elena! And yes, photography does a great job of letting you relive a scene. Sometimes I’m surprised at just how faulty the memory is, but a photograph sets the record straight.

• aetherhouse says:

Wow, this is amazing – both the photos and the fact that you’re so well-traveled. I hate to say I’ve never left the country, while my boyfriend is extremely world-traveled, so I envy you both. However, the one place my boyfriend hasn’t been is Prague, and he’s dying to go! Glad to see you enjoyed it so much. It’ll probably be one of my first international destinations.

• lovely pictures! I totally agree with you, it’s a test of one’s patience and also awareness around you to see and be alert,and to capture the ‘that’ moment. =)

Keep up the good work!!

• Gorgeous photos. I know a couple of other efriends who like Prague. Makes me think I should go there.

• Sarah G. says:

China. But I don’t just want to travel. I want to live there for a while and become fluent in Mandarin.

Enjoyed the photos! Always nice to live vicariously through travel photography. =)

Thanks Sarah! I completely support your philosophy of all-immersive travel. I know there are some great (and economical) Mandarin schools in Beijing, but then again, Beijing is a densely populated urban area, and it’s probably better to prowl the countryside and pick up on dialect that way.

• jmro98 says:

Have to travel once more, at least one time…Prague is missing from my wishes ‘list’, and going back to Vienna, and someday Toronto and Vancouver, not in the same ‘league’ and some little places in the Usa, New-York, Chicago, San Francisco…:D, and maybe Minneapolis and Grand Forks, it is not too far from Winnipeg…and the Grand Canyon and….the list goes on…:)

Wow, sounds like quite the cross-continental round trip! The Grand Canyon is on my list as well, as are the multiple destinations in the USA. Travelling takes extensive planning.

Venice or Alpha Centauri – can’t make up my mind.

• So many amazing pictures! <3
    Is the third to the last picture also from Prague? I absolutely love that one.

• Wow, that snow pic. But at the moment, I’m liking the sound of Bhutan. Or anywhere where there is sun.

• cygnusx1 says:

I like isolated places when I travel. Two of my favourite destinations have been Blanchisseuse in Northern Trinidad and Ag Roumeli in Southern Crete (sadly pictures now lost). At the time both were off the grid and to get there you needed to walk or take a boat. This was a long time ago, and I suspect things have changed. The difficulty these days is finding somewhere isolated enough…

Hmm, what about Peru? Maybe not Lima, but the rainforest areas like Iquitos or surrounding prowling grounds along the Peruvian/Amazon rivers.

• cygnusx1 says:

True, there are still places. I once dreamed about the Potalah or Machu Picchu, but there both on package tour routes now. It’s over a decade since McDonald’s even opened their fist

• cygnusx1 says:

… franchise in Lhasa.

(Sorry – tiny mobile keyboard. ..)

I do quite like our global village. The downside is it makes it very hard to get away from it all when ‘it’ is so pervasive.

• Mary says:

Lovely travel pictures and not the typical shots – yours tell the story of everyday life. To me that lends a whole other level of connection. I would go back to Italy and spends several months exploring the country at a slower pace.

• I was in Prague with my wife for a photo project a couple of years ago . A magical city!
    robert
    PS: loving your lonely road, with a lonely tree! I always find a fascination when I see a road and I do not know where it’s going…

• drawandshoot says:

These are gorgeous, Millie! I would love to go to Prague.