Illustration

SORROWBACON In 10 Sentences

By August 3, 2014 18 Comments

SORROWBACON is being happy being sad.

SORROWBACON is blood on your welcome mat.

SORROWBACON is sleeping more than you should.

SORROWBACON is your steak overcooked.

SORROWBACON is a noose used to jump rope.

SORROWBACON is pirouetting down a dark slope.

SORROWBACON is your cellmate in silk pyjamas.

SORROWBACON is your thoughts pierced raw.

SORROWBACON is Xanax and xylophones.

SORROWBACON is finding your way home.

———–

Millie’s Note: I challenge you to summarize your story in ten sentences or less!

• Axel Rider says:

I don’t think I could summarize anything I write in ten sentences or less. I’m pretty bad at being concise. I like some of those sentences. I’m not sure why, but I laughed at a couple…I have a really messed up sense of humor. That one with the noose…I couldn’t stop laughing for some reason.

Dude, I’m happy you laughed. The sentences are a complete shot in the dark in any case. Why don’t you try summarizing nonetheless? I bet you can come up with some neat phrases.

• Axel Rider says:

I might give it a shot, but I wouldn’t know what to summarize. I tend to write Flash Fiction and, well, I never talk about my novel in my blog, so it’s sort of a very strange thing for me to do. I like your comic though. Reminds me a bit of Cyanide and Happiness, which explains why I check it out as soon as I see it’s been updated. I love the dark comedy. (Fun fact… Most of the “dark stuff” that I write is often supposed to be ironic, but I feel I’m the only one laughing in the room, lol). Keep up the good work, I love keeping up with both your comic and blog. Fun stuff right here.

Maybe start from the most interesting scene in your story and work your way from there. That’s the formula I use, and it’s been good to me so far.

Thank you for your support. Dark comedy rules! Cyanide and Happiness is dope. I was thinking of animating SORROWBACON using Adobe Flash in a similar fashion, too. Might be something to think about in the future. Hopefully I can continue to keep you entertained.

• Axel Rider says:

I think I might do it as a general update post if I ever put up anything other than flash fiction. I sort of went into this blog with the intention of only putting up stories and not having personal commentary (I do put some stuff in italics in the actual stories, but yah know what I mean.)

• Hey, I’m going to take this on. I suck at summarizing. This could help with the elevator tag line!

I’m really sorry Sorrowbacon is my steak overcooked. Sorrowbacon indeed.

• Well, sure you can do it, Millie, because you have that gorgeous drawing skill. Me, all I’ve got is words!

Sounds like an #Insecure Writers Support Group article…

Only you didn’t summarise, you just blazed away with ten sentences and left me none the wiser. BUT that’s good. That’s just how it should be for SORROWBACON!

‘From My Cold, Undead Hand’ is about vampires exercising their constitutional rights as citizens of the US.
    It’s a tumble of teenage angst, hormones, and massacres, with Mormons thrown in for good luck.
    It’s a love story, sort of.
    It’s all about marginalisation.
    Theres a book within the book, a dubious translation of a series of 19c papers, documenting the exploits of a vampire-hunter.
    It tells you things about vampires you didn’t know.
    It tells you things you didn’t know about vampires.
    It has the word ‘Gouranga’ in it.
    You’ll find out why the handiest things to have during an internal flight are a complimentary packet of peanuts and a set of children’s coloured pencils.
    By the end you’ll be howling – “Yes, but what happened NEXT?”

• I don’t know if I could do what you just did – that’s awesome! But I did just write my first ever query letter to a publisher, and managed to squeeze a series synopsis into a paragraph of 4 sentences, which I was pretty pleased about 🙂

• Sarah G. says:

Challenge accepted. >=)

1. Whatever You’re Searching For is psychedelic madness.
    2. Whatever You’re Searching For tears holes in reality.
    3. Whatever You’re Searching For is a tea made from the ancestor tree.
    4. Whatever You’re Searching For is infused with myth, with legend.
    5. Whatever You’re Searching For is facing your internal self.
    6. Whatever You’re Searching For brings us together.
    7. Whatever You’re Searching For is a return to nature, to the primitive.
    8. Whatever You’re Searching For takes you into deep caves.
    9. Whatever You’re Searching For is fragmented.
    10. Whatever You’re Searching For is outside of time.

I might have to make this my next writing update and pass the challenge on. A very enjoyable post, Millie! =)

• Mary says:

Interesting summary Millie, like the ten lines – quick, lets the imagination fill in the details and very creative. Have a great week!

• I did it!

By the way, thanks so much for this insightful writing exercise. I’m considering passing it along to my writing group. It’s just what I needed!

It’s here: http://philosophyandfiction.com/2014/08/05/my-novel-is-about-elevator-tag-line/